Local 442 has its own YouTube Channel, click on this link to take you there; http://www.youtube.com/user/Local442Videos/videos
There you will find videos related to our Training Program.
The piping apprenticeship is a five year program where you will earn as you learn. The starting pay is over $16.88 per hour and you will receive an upgrade every 6 months which will include a nearly $2.00 per hour raise.
Along with the on-the-job training you will attend school two nights a week at our state of the art training center.
Ask Yourself These 3 Questions?
- Do you like a change of scenery every once in awhile?
- Do you like to work with your hands and your head?
- Would you like a career with a real sense of accomplishment!
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILLED OUT APRIL 9, 2014 BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
AT THE TRAINING CENTER OFFICE LOCATED AT 4842 NUTCRACKER LANE, MODESTO CALIFORNIA.
THE TEST WILL BE GIVEN ON THE SAME DAY AT 10:00 AM.
TESTING WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FIRST 94 PEOPLE TO SIGN UP.
THE WRITTEN EXAM CONSISTS OF READING COMPREHENSION, FIGURE VISUALIZATION, MECHANICAL ABILITY AND BASIC MATH. YOU MUST OBTAIN AT LEAST 75% TO PASS.
- APPLICANT MIMIMUM AGE OF EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS OLD. Proof will be required at time of application.
- All applicants must possess a high school diploma, high school proficiency certificate, or General Education Development certificate. In addition, all qualified applicants must be able to read, write and speak the English Language.
- Applicants must be physically able to perform all work of the occupation. A physical examination may be required by individual approved employers. If a physical examination is required by an employer, the cost shall be at the expense of the employer.
- Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test paid for by the committee.
- Applicants must possess a valid California Drivers License at the time of indenture.
Once the written exam is completed some of the top scoring applicants will be selected to be interviewed by the Joint Apprenticeship Committee, the number of applicants selected to be interviewed will be on an as needed basis.
APPRENTICE TEST STUDY GUIDE
PART ONE: READING COMPREHENSION
This part of the test consists of reading a 5 page typed article in 15 minutes. You will then have to answer 25 true or false questions from memory.
PART TWO: FIGURE VISUALIZATION
You will have to look at a two dimensional pattern and envision what it would look like if folded on the dotted lines.
PART THREE: MECHANICAL ABILITY
You will have to look at some illustrations and answer short questions about them. Questions on leverage, direction gears are turning, or on area.
PART FOUR: MATH
The math part of the test is worth 50% of the test. It includes addition, subtraction, multiplication, long division, addition of fractions, subtraction of fractions, multiplication of fractions, division of fractions, converting percentages to decimals, and you must know how to convert improper fractions into proper fractions (lowest terms). You must also know how to read a tape measure.
Take to the third decimal place, no remainders.
1. 976.87 divided by 6.78= 2. 6/64 + 9/32 =
3. 14 5/8 – 12 ¾ =
4. 1895 x 456=
5. 6’ 8” = ___inches 6. 1/3 x ¾ = 7. 2/3 divided by ¾ =
8. 16 divided by ¾= 9. Change 1/8 into a decimal 10. Change 35% into a decimal
11. 12 x 1/3 =
You should be able to answer the above math problems without a problem. The math portion of the test is worth 50% of the score and it is very important to score well on the test.
Your test score combined with your interview score will delegate where you end up on the list to get into the program.
You make take the test no more than every 6 months.
Your test results will remain on the list of eligible applicants for 2 years.
3. 1 7/8
8. 21 1/3